Something Splendid is now over at http://somethingsplendidblog.com. Come check us out over there for even more great ideas.
We have a lot of stuff around my apartment, but one thing we don’t have yet is coasters. I have looked around for them but I never found any I love. I came across this tutorial and they were so easy to make, and very inexpensive.
4 square tiles (4.25″ x 4.25″) (I got mine from Home Depot for $.18 each)
4 pieces of scrapbook paper (3.75″ x 3.75″)
4 pieces of felt (3.75″ x 3.75″)
Glue (i.e. Fabri-tac or other strong adhesive) (I used hot glue)
Clear acrylic sealer
1. Gather your supplies and cut the paper and the felt into squares.
2. Brush one coat of Mod Podge onto tile.
3. Place one piece of paper on center of tile brush with a coat of Mod Podge then allow to dry.
4. Brush another coat of Mod Podge over tile and allow to dry for 15 minutes. Repeat step 1-2 more times.
5. After Mod Podge is dry, take tiles outside and spray with clear acrylic sealer. Follow manufacturers instructions. The sealer makes these tile coasters water-resistant.
6. Allow the tiles to fully dry then glue the square pieces of felt to the bottom of the tiles.
7. Allow to dry then enjoy!
Original tutorial can be found here.