Something Splendid is now over at http://somethingsplendidblog.com. Come check us out over there for even more great ideas.
I’ve always loved doing my nails in a fun, new and unique way. The trouble with that is I would look at people’s nails and immediately think “I could NEVER make my nails look that good!” Over the years though i’ve learned that nail art is not as hard as it looks, if you use the right tools.
Today I will be showing you how I did my “Let it Snow” nail design. I have an obsession with polka dots, especially on my nails and they are so easy to do just by using everyday household items.
- Any Light Blue Nail Polish….I used Essie Turquoise and Caicos (752) and I LOVE it (bought at Target)
- White Nail Polish….I used Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear White on (300) and I LOVE it because you only need one coat and for the color white I think that is pretty impressive. I bought this at Target as well, but I couldn’t find it on the website but it is also on Amazon for $4.61.
- Top Coat: This is the most important part!!! I’ve learned that the brand of the color nail polish doesn’t matter as much as long as the top coat is excellent. So I normally buy cheaper nail polish but buy a more expensive top coat (still only $5) because it is worth it. I use INM Out The Door Top Coat For Nails which I found at Sally Beauty
- Black and Orange Sharpie
- Pencil and Pin: This is how I make my polka dots. Place the pin in the eraser on your pencil and it makes an easy tool for making small dots on your fingers.
- Paint all your fingers blue, except your two ring fingers which you will paint white
- Dip your pin into the white paint and begin to place polka dots on the blue nail polish
- Paint over with a top coat on all your fingers
- To make the snowman you will need to wait until your top coat is dry. I waited about twenty minutes or so just to be positive that I wouldn’t ruin the paint.
- Using the black sharpie draw a hat and two eyes on the white paint. Using the orange create the nose and then place six smaller dots for the mouth. Yes you read correctly…..USE THE SHARPIE TO DRAW ON YOUR NAILS!!! How easy right?!
- Wait about an hour and then you can place another top coat on the sharpie. Be careful to wait long enough or the sharpie will begin to smear and it will ruin your work.
There you have it!!!! A really easy and cute way to make your nails stand out for the holiday season! I’ve received so many compliments and can’t wait for you to try them out as well! Good Luck 🙂